Propstei Johannesberg
open year-round
The baroque church and castle complex in Johannesberg dates back to a foundation of the Fulda monastery in 811. Originally a pilgrimage center and a subsidiary monastery under Rabanus Maurus, it underwent numerous renovations: the Carolingian St. John's Church was followed around 1000 by a pillar basilica, and after a fire around 1190, the Romanesque portal was built, followed later by a late Gothic church. With the end of monastic life during the Thirty Years' War, Johannesberg became a provostry and administrative center. Its present appearance is characterized by the Baroque church building (1686–1691) and the extensive renovations of the 18th century under Konrad von Mengersen, including the largely original “Red Building” with its banquet hall. The planned gardens with terraces and sightlines were only partially completed. After secularization in 1802, the complex served as a state domain for a long time. Since the 1970s, it has been thoroughly restored and now houses monument preservation facilities as well as the provost church, which is still in use.